Search This Blog

Monday, May 16, 2011

SUCCESS!

Well, I have succeeded in finding a horse show association that welcomes aside riders! The Association of Northwest Arkansas Riding Clubs have been very welcoming and nice. They already have one aside rider and are excited to have another! THANK YOU ANWARC! Also the MidState Horse Show Association, part of the same parent organization as the CAHSA group has welcomed my inquiry regarding riding in their Ladies Gaited class aside. I have written and submitted an article to a local horse magazine the Horseman's Roundup concerning riding aside and how to get started. Hopefully it will get published within the next couple of issues. So things are looking up!

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting things going in a positive way for you. I am interested in learning more about aside riding but am having problems getting information. I'm in north east Louisiana and I haven't seen or heard of anyone around here riding aside but I've always wanted to. Any information would be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you found some company. Do you chat on the COTH forums? There used to be someone there called Sidesaddle Susan, she was a dressage rider, she might still be there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy for you! I love watching sidesaddle classes. The Virginia State 4H Horse Show offers sidesaddle classes and the popularity is growing in leaps and bounds. Huntseat, English (saddleseat type) and Western classes are offered. No jumping yet, but I'm thinking thats because it's kids and not adults....safety y'know. They can even compete in the trail classes. We even had a boy compete last year in the western classes! He sure did get some funny looks, but he did very well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. TWHLady - email me at scaequestrian@yahoo.com and I will send you some info. If you want to come up for a weekend and try it out, you can! I live in Little Rock, AR, not too bad a drive from the Monroe/Ruston area. I grew up in Ringgold, in Bienville Parish, so am familiar with the area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, long-time lurker here. Just wanted to say I'll be looking forward to maybe seeing you at some ANWARC shows ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember reading an article about sidesaddle AGES ago, that a few men ride aside because of a disability or an injury.

    I think that's pretty cool of that boy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He wasn't disabled at all. His trainer also did sidesaddle and was teaching all the girls and so he figured, "Hey, why not?" and they let him because it would be discrimination if they didn't. I think it's awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks I'll email. I'm about 45 minutes southeast of Monroe.

    ReplyDelete